Monday 19 December 2011

Somniferous almond eyes

It’s 1.30 in the morning. Although I have work in a depressingly scarce spread of hours, I cannot sleep.  Normally, I’d make use of the insomnia like normal people - staring at the ceiling in the hope that it can explain the inexplicably perpetual paucity of my bank account. But now that I have a blog - in name if nothing else - I’m allowed to write instead.

This has not been without issues. To avoid waking the house, I’m writing in the non-luculent glow of my phone, which winks in and out of existence like a narcoleptic lighthouse keeper. I’ve broken two pens in as many paragraphs. This has been solved by a pencil. If it breaks I’ll throw the lot into the bin.

I’m currently wearing a week old growth of beard from a trip to Brisbane. It’s long since gone past the stage of acceptable stubble, and now resembles a blackened, greasy mange that would put most of Occupy Brisbane to shame. It has now been shaved.

‘The Devil’s Orchard’ by Opeth is playing in my mind at a level appropriate for concert flashbacks, but not sleep.

Goodnight.

Do not buy a phone tomorrow.

Please.

1 comment:

  1. Saw you happily engaged in conversation with your fellow inmates. Didn't seem to have too many lobotomy patients graving in your field.

    ReplyDelete